Monday, May 11, 2009

Irenaeus Fabula 29. Aquila.

I'm embarking on a new Latin fable project here at the Latin Via Fables blog: digitizing the 300 fables in the Mithologica sacro-profana, seu florilegium fabularum by P. Irenaeus, published in 1666, which has recently become available at GoogleBooks. For a complete index of the fables in the book, with links to the fables I've digitized so far, check out the Aesopus wiki page at Aesopus.PBwiki.com.

Today's fable is Aquila, the story of the eagle who was shot with her own feathers. In Perry's indexing system, this is Perry 276.

To make reading the fable easier, I've provided a segmented version of the story below.

Leporem venatura rupi insidebat Aquila, quam Venator quidam incautam conspicatus, emissa in corpus sagitta traiecit. Haec moriens, crenam cum pennis suis intuens, dicebat, "Etsi gravat me mori, magis me gravat et cruciat, quod propriis pennis intereo.

Leporem venatura
rupi insidebat Aquila,
quam
Venator quidam
incautam conspicatus,
emissa in corpus sagitta
traiecit.
Haec moriens,
crenam cum pennis suis intuens,
dicebat,
"Etsi gravat me mori,
magis me gravat et cruciat,
quod propriis pennis intereo.

Here's an illustration for the fable (image source) from a 19th-century edition of Aesop's fables:




Aesop's Fables in Latin now available at Amazon.com.

No comments: